Sunday, December 8, 2013

Old Memories/New Memories 2013

As I stated in this post, we began our family gatherings this weekend.  It actually was a low key and less than normal food gathering. It was quite enjoyable. I'm so glad we were able to spend time with family on Saturday.  

My cousin has done a grand job of putting together our family history and uses Ancestry.com.  We are lucky to have her in our family for sure!

Growing up I didn't hear much about my Dad's side of the family.  Yesterday I was lucky enough to sit with him at the computer , showing him photos from his youth, and he proceeded to tell me things.  It was a lovely time. He didn't grow up in the best atmosphere at times,  (he is 74 years old) and it was just refreshing to hear what he had to say.  He smiled at times and I could see him as a child as he spoke.  

One of the best parts for me was this......



















PV came and sat on my lap, without being asked, to listen to Grandpa talk and look at photos.  I wish I had a video of him explaining how his Dad used this "combine" to harvest wheat to PV.  It was a precious memory to me.  It just felt good.



















This photo of his mother ,as a little girl , made me think of my middle daughter and my brother's daughter.   They both have dark brown eyes and dark hair.  Grandmother is lovely just as those two girls are as well!
























I may not remember all the things Dad said, but I will remember this little chunk of time with him forever.  It's precious to me.

Being with family brings memories.  I was a witness once again of my husband being a really good Dad.
Milton and my brother in law headed out to see if they could get any pheasant!  It was Milton's lucky day because he came back with a bird! Look at that smile!






















Here's the part about him being a really good Dad.  Reality and hands on is usually the best way of teaching I think.  Milton is teaching his daughter about the pheasant, and encouraging her to feel the feather etc.  I didn't realize it until I got ready to post this photo.  But she's smiling.  It's not about the dead bird, it's about the fact that her Dad took the time to teach her, to value her.  To add to her life about so many things in as little as five minutes.  




















Hug your loved ones, take lots of photos, listen to the stories and create new memories for your family to carry on.  Time is too short!  Enjoy your time with family this holiday season!


Thanks for stopping by!
Julie






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!