Saturday, December 7, 2013

Coconut, Almond, & Cocoa

Today began our family holiday gatherings for the season!
I got off kinda easy this go around, I only had to make desserts.
I wasn't in the mood for pie after last weekend, so I made two cakes.
 One of them I have already blogged about , it's one of my favorites.
My sisters remember having this particular cake growing up but usually only at Christmas.
Due to it was "more expensive" to make so they say.


The other one is a Coconut Cream Cake.
My husband and Dad love coconut cream pie,
so I figured this was a good fit for the day.
I meant to take a photo after I put the Cool Whip on top, but I forgot.
OOPS!

Here's the recipe though!

Coconut Cream Cake

1 pkg. Duncan Hines Coconut Cake
I can never find this, so I just use white cake mix
1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 (8oz) container Cool whip
Shredded coconut

Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box. Bake as the package indicates. When the cake is done, remove from the oven. While it is still warm, put holes all over the cake using the end of a wooden spoon and be careful not to go all the way through the cake.
Mix the coconut milk & sweetened condensed milk together an pour over the top of the cake.
Next top with cool whip and sprinkle with coconut.
NOTE: I do not put cool whip on entire cake unless I think it will all be ate in one day.
Keep refrigerated.
Coconut milk can be found in the Asian food section of grocery store.

The last recipe I made was one that we were lucky enough to try new last weekend.
When we attended the Dyck Arboretum Luminaries. 
They provided Almond Tea for a warm drink and we fell in love with it.
I was very excited when they actually had printouts of the recipe.
Here's the recipe of goodness!


Almond Tea
                                     3 tsp. Instant Tea                                   
1 quart water
                            5 cups very hot water                             
1 tsp. Vanilla flavor
                     1 (12 oz) frozen lemonade                      
1 tsp Almond flavor
 3/4 cup sugar

Dissolve tea in hot water. Mix rest of ingredients. Stir in tea.  
May be served hot or cold.  Makes 14-18 servings (1/2 cup)

And because you need at least one photo in each blog post, 
I decided to wish you all a Merry Christmas!
Does this say holiday spirit or what??? :) LOL





Photography by 5 year old and yes the angel is crooked, the tree is not!

May your day be bright & merry!
Julie


PS: It felt great to be back in the kitchen and to be able to blog about it!
Oh how I miss it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!