Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sweet Spiced Turnovers

Today I took a new recipe for a test run.  It comes from a cookbook that has LOVELY photos and ideas for gatherings.  I have not made but one other recipe from it.  By the way, I enjoy reading cookbooks, especially ones with pictures!  So if I see a beautiful front cover cookbook (or magazine) I have a hard time not purchasing it!  


Who wouldn't want to eat at that table???




























This is the photo of the turnovers from the cookbook! 



















Ingredients are: 
Yep, the powdered sugar didn't make it to the photo shoot!
It was runny late as usual!




















Here are the pastry puff laid out flat, my lovely husband must have read my mind, 
because I didn't tell him I was making this today.  
He put the groceries away he night before after we got home. 
He put the puff pastry in the refrigerator verses the freezer! :)

















The spread for inside the turnover!
























The spread on the puff pastry!  
















Puff pastry cut into triangles. The recipe didn't tell how many it
makes. So my first set I cut too many rectangles, they are smaller.
Cut 3 rectangles is my suggestion.















Here is the brown butter frosting. I had never had a recipe call for 
browning butter before. 





















My finished product. There is a reason I am only showing you one.
My kitchen performances are far from perfect, but I am not that "balanced" 
of an individual to show you the rest that aren't as lovely looking! :)



















I hope you enjoy today's recipe!  Give it a try!  I did!

Thanks for stopping by!
Julie




Sweet Spiced Turnovers

1 pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets                
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. brown sugar                                      
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg                             
4 tbsp. butter, softened
1 egg white

Brown Butter Frosting
1/2 c. butter
3 tbsp. 1% milk
1 tsp pur vanilla extract
3 c. powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Thaw 2 pastry sheets. Unfold each sheet and lay flat.  Blend softened cream cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.  Spread 2 tbsp. softened butter over each pastry sheet.  Divide the cream cheese spread in half and spread evenly on the pastry sheets.  Fold over each sheet in half.  Cut into rectangles.  Then cut rectangles in half creating triangles.  Pinch the edges by pressing down with a fork, to keep the spread inside.  Place on a baking sheet and brush with egg white.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

While turnovers are baking prespare the Brown Butter Frosting.  Lightly brown butter in a medicum saucepan, stirring so butter will not boil.  Remove from heat.  In a small mixing bowl combine milk, vanilla, and melted butter.  Add powdered sugar and beat utnil thick and smooth.  Place frosting in a Ziploc bag.  Cut off the tip of one corner and drizzle Brown Butter Frosting on top of turnovers and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!