Friday, October 4, 2013

Sow, Harvest, Emerge


The farm has been buzzing with activity this past week or so.  Last night it rained, and there is rain in the forecast today too, but I'm not sure how much will arrive at our area.  Until its heavily downpouring I know a couple farmers that will continue to plug along!

My hubby had to get up in the middle of the night and it wasn't for a crying baby! He didn't put the old grain truck  in the shed last night when returning in the late hours from sowing wheat.  That meant when the lightning and thunder began he got to get out of bed and go put  it away. The reason he needed to complete this task is because the "seed wheat" that he uses to sow the current wheat crop is in the grain truck.  We take a certain amount of wheat from our best producing fields and wheat varieties from our previous crop year and "save" it for the next crop year. Before the "seed" wheat is sown the next year, we take it to a facility to have it "cleaned". 

This time of year brings Fall harvest which I have mentioned before.  The corn is harvested, and they have moved onto soybeans.  The next  crop to be harvested will be grain sorghum or milo which I like to call it.  It's the orange/rust colored headed beauties you see in the fields!  So pretty this time of year!  

When Milton and I were engaged, we had pictures taken by my sister for our announcement.  It was in September/October and this is one of the silly ones we did.  It hangs in our home and it's a reminder of days gone by for us.  A time when things were new in our relationship and we were (somewhat) young!  Haha!  Those of you that know my husband personally will enjoy this photo I am sure!




As I drive in the countryside I see some wheat already emerging it's little green self.  It's amazing how quickly the crops begin to come up.  We will have the same thing happening in our fields in a week or two.  Each year it's a new process, each year there are joys and hardships, but with farming comes a renewal of sorts.  With each crop that is planted. 

Here are some photos from this past weekend I have been wanting to share. 


Two generations filling the grain drill/air seeder

The 2nd generation teaching the 3rd generation.


3 Generations side by side. Priceless.



Harvesting Corn

This one. It makes my heart go pitter patter and get all gushy! :)



I hope whatever season of life you are in, that you are able to harvest out the old, sow the revitalized seed, and emerge into whatever your dreams may be.

Thanks for stopping by!
Julie

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of you and MV! Very sweet!

    Thanks for joining week #11 of the Country Fair Blog Party!
    Laurie - Country Link

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!