Thursday, September 20, 2012

Wheat sowing

Wheat sowing has officially begun for this family farm





MV started planting wheat under the (irrigation) center pivot today.  This will be irrigated wheat for his father.  They primarily farm non irrigated wheat, this is approximately 60 acres of irrigated ground.  It took him 3 hours to sow about 30 acres, so tomorrow he will be back in the tractor completing the task at hand.

(He also burned some wheat stubble  today, but I work a full time job outside the home, so we do not have photos of that :(  I've been reassured that there will be opportunity in the near future to get photos! Stay close! You won't want to miss that post!

It's almost 8:00 pm and MV has now come in for the night.  That's how it is during planting or harvesting time. Later evenings and warmed up meals and missed family time. 

A farmer's business depends alot on the weather, the number of hours in a day, and whether there were any breakdowns or not. They do not punch a time clock or get paid overtime, they just do what needs to be done, and get it done to the best of their ability with what they have. 

Although sometimes it's difficult and hard decisions have to be made, the (my) farmer loves this life.

One of the reasons is the view from the tractor cab!

(INSERT HERE THE PICTURE I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THIS EVENING, BUT DID NOT)  
HE HAD A BEAUTIFUL VIEW OF THE SUN SETTING ..... HIS WIFE FAILED TO MAKE IT OUTSIDE IN TIME TO TAKE IT! OOPS! 

Although he was late coming in, and we missed him at dinner time, I am glad he made it in the house in time to read to his little girl. This makes me smile, she is one lucky girl to have a Dad that will be sure to make her a priority, and finish the day with a good book (even when it is a busy time of year) ! 

May your upcoming weekend be blessed!

JV


My hubby just informed he took a few photos with his phone while burning wheat stubble!  So here ya go! :)
(I am wearing off on him I think!)














3 comments:

  1. I love that your husband took these photos! Do you think he was thinking...This is going to make a great blog post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      I am sure of it! :) He probably wouldn't admit it to everyone, but I think he enjoys blogging (with me)! :) His support is very nice!

      Delete
  2. I remember those days growing up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!