Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Zucchini Cake

One of our favorite cakes is made from one of my  Mother-in-laws recipes.  It always comes out moist and tasty, I actually prefer it without frosting.  But this time I put cream cheese frosting on it since we were taking it to our friend's home.  

My husband grew up in a house where there normally was some sort of cake or cookies sitting on the stovetop or counter top.  From scratch I might add!  So he enjoys it when I bake something up for our home.

I hope you enjoy this recipe!  Thanks for stopping by!  Julie


Zucchini Cake

In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and 1 tsp salt.

In a large bowl,  blend together 2 cups sugar and 1 cup oil.

Add:  3 eggs, 2 cups raw grated zucchini, 3 tsp.cinnamon, and 3 tsp. vanilla.  

You will then add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture. Blend until well mixed.

Bake at 350 degrees.  If you are using a jelly roll pan, which is what we normally use, it takes about 20 to 25 minutes.  If using a regular cake pan, it might take 30 minutes.  Be sure to test with a toothpick inserted in center of cake to verify if done.


Enjoy plain or add the following glaze:

1 cup sugar
6 Tbls. margarine or oleo
1/2 c. evaporated skim milk or use cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix and boil 2 minutes. Pour over cake.

If you prefer a cream cheese frosting, just use your favorite one! I normally just throw the cream cheese (softened) and powdered sugar together, with alittle vanilla, until it tastes the way we like.  

On a side note, we use zucchini from our garden.  We normally grate our zucchini and then freeze it in baggies.  This way we can enjoy one of our favorite cakes during the winter months!


It's not the best photo but it was all packaged up ready to travel to
Nebraska by the time I had time to write this post!





















Here's a shot of the partially ate piece of cake.
It was delish, this is my friend's piece.
She had to take of her little baby girl and I snapped a photo of her piece,
mine was already in my tummy! :) 

2 comments:

  1. I wondered how you got that picture! :) This is truly delicious! Really amazing! I have to admit though, I'm a sucker for cream cheese frosting. Yum! I'm glad you're sharing it so that I can pin it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this! Not the biggest fan of zucchini, but LOVE zucchini cake! I haven't ever made it, but it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!