Monday, January 12, 2015

Three Grain Bread

My husband gave me a couple cookbooks for Christmas. 
I decided instead of just barely using them I would actually put them to good use!   Here is one of them.



















I spent time in my Entertaining Kitchen last week preparing this bread for my family. Although we don't normally eat this type of bread, I want to be sure to expand our horizons so to speak.  

This recipe came from Page 12 of the Bread  Cookbook by Publications International, Ltd.

















Three Grain Bread

1 cup milk
1 Tbls honey
3 Tsp salt
1 C. whole wheat flour
3/4 C. all-purpose flour
1 Pkg rapid rise active dry yeast

1/2 C. plus 1 Tbls old fashion oatmeal, divided
1/4 C. whole grain cornmeal, plus additional for baking sheet
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbls water

Makes one loaf


1. Combine milk, honey, oil, and salt in small pan; heat over low heat to 115 degrees to 120 degrees.
2. Whisk whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, and yeast in large bowl of stand mixer.  Add milk mixture; beat at medium speed with paddle attachment 3 minutes.  Beat in 1/2 cup oats and 1/4 cup cornmeal at low speed.  If dough is too wet, add additional flour, 1 teaspoon at a time until dough begins to come together.
3.Replace paddle attachment with dough hook, knead at low speed 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
4 Shape dough into a ball, place in greased bowl, flip over so top does not dry out. Cover with cloth and let rise for about an hour or until dough is puffy and does not spring back when touched.
5. Sprinkle baking sheet lightly with cornmeal.  Punch down dough, shape into 8 inch loaf.  Place on baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place about 45 minutes or until almost double in size.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. Cut shallow slash down center of loaf with sharp knife.  Brush lightly with egg mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon oats.
7. Bake 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped and internal temperature reaches 200 degrees.  Remove to wire rack to cook completely.

Since my oven is not under my stovetop, I like to heat one of my ovens to 200 degrees.  Then when I am ready to have the dough raise, I will shut it off, cover pan with damp large towel, and place in the oven.  Leave the oven door slightly open.  Works like a charm!   

If you try the recipe, please be sure to let me know what you think of it.  We thought it was tasty!  A different texture than we are used to, but still delish! 

To follow us via email, you can check out the top right hand corner of our blog!
Delivered straight to your inbox to read what we posted!

Would you rather follow us on Pinterest or Facebook!
Awesome! We have those too!



Thanks for stopping by!
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!